August 25-26 Faculty Institute part 1
The August 2010 Writing Initiative Faculty Institute will be the first of two parts for faculty developing WI courses that will be piloted in the Spring or Fall 2011 semesters. The second 2-day Institute will be held during the January 2011 break.
This institute will address on the goals and methodologies of the Initiative, the process of creating course materials and the tools and support available to students and instructors in these courses.
August 25 & 26 (Wed/Thurs) 9-3 pm
We will gather in the Writing Center at 8:30 am and start promptly at 9. Lunch is on your own at noon and we hope to conclude both days by 3.
The following topics will be covered in a small group seminar style:
- An introduction to the Writing Initiative and the WI Course Development Handbook
- Defining Writing Intensive courses
- Aligning course goals with WI goals
- The WI course development process
- WI Course syllabi
- Generating WI assignments - incorporating critical thinking & information literacy
- Tools and support (Writing Center, LibGuides, eTutoring, WCOnline, media etc.)