May 2010 New WI Faculty Institute
This 2-day Institute is offered for instructors who are taking on an existing WI course for the first time.
Wednesday and Thursday, May 26 & 27 9 - 3 in the Paterson Writing Center (within the Library/LRC)
This institute differs from the 4-day Faculty Institute which focuses on the redesign of an existing GenEd course and the creation of assignments, a grading policy, LibGuide resources and supplementary materials. Both types of institutes address the WI requirement and tools and how the course is assessed.
Topics covered over the course of the 2 days will include:
- Writing Initiative goals and requirements
- The Writing Initiative Teacher's Handbook
- Using the Writing Center
- A review of the existing WI course materials: syllabus, assignments etc. and suggestions for revisions and additions.
- Using the 3 initiative rubrics for assessment
- Components of the formal versus informal writing assignments
- Incorporating critical thinking in writing
- Incorporating information literacy in writing
- Hands-on session using the LibGuide and making additions to it (links, resources, media objects etc.)
- Student portfolios: why we use portfolios, use of the eFolio product, sample student portfolios, grading strategies.
- Online support for online course sections and all students.
- Using eTutoring