August 2009 Faculty Institute part 1
The August 2009 Writing Initiative Faculty Institute will be the first of two parts for faculty developing WI courses that will be piloted in the Spring or Fall 2010 semesters.
This institute will address on the goals and methodologies of the Initiative, the process of creating course materials and the tools and support available to students and instructors in these courses.
August 26 & 27 (Wed/Thurs) 8:30 - 3:30
We will start the morning with coffee plus and have lunch at noon both days.
The following topics will be covered in a small group seminar style:
- An introduction to the Writing Initiative and the WI Course Development Handbook
- Defining Writing Intensive courses
- Aligning course goals with WI goals
- The WI course development process
- WI Course syllabi
- Generating WI assignments - incorporating critical thinking & information literacy
- Tools and support (Writing Center, LibGuides, eTutoring, WCOnline, media etc.)