May 2009 Faculty Institute
In 2009, our Writing Initiative Faculty Institute was held in two parts. The first two days in January were for faculty new to the Title V Initiative. The intent was to introduce the goals and methodologies of the Initiative, allow them to hear some best practices and suggestions from the initial group of WI instructors, and then spend time in hands-on sessions developing an assignment for each writing-intensive course. (see January 08 schedule)
In May, we continue the process with our January participants who are piloting their courses this fall. One objective of this institute is the creation of 3 WI writing assignments to be used in the pilot semester.
On day 2, we will invite faculty who attended the first Institute (June 2008), but who are also piloting this fall. We want them to see some new elements (such as eFolios) that have emerged since their first Institute.
Monday & Tuesday May 18 & 19 8:30 - 3:30
- Course Development Handbook
- Using the rubrics and the assignment template (formal writing assignments, critical thinking & information literacy) – collaborative review Rubric use for creating and evaluating writing assignments, critical thinking & information literacy
- Using media objects as prewriting and research tools for writing
- Creating a WI syllabus
- LibGuide creation (hands-on)
- Critical thinking assignment creation using template, rubric, media etc.
- Formal & informal writing in WI courses
- Sample student portfolios and the updated portfolio product being used this fall
- Information literacy assignment creation using template, rubric, media etc.