May 15 & 16 Faculty Institute
Writing Initiative Faculty Institute
May 15 & 16 9 am – 3:30 pm Writing Center A113 (Library)
For faculty developing new WI course sections or taking on a WI section for the first time.
Please bring the textbook and any syllabus and writing assignments for the course that you already have.
In this Writing Initiative Faculty Institute we will be discussing overall WI goals, sharing existing WI materials, creating new assignments and materials and looking at the pedagogy, tools and resources available for writing intensive courses.
1. The Writing Initiative Handbook
2. Writing Initiative goals and requirements
3. Formal and informal writing
4. A review of existing course materials (syllabus and assignment samples) both for regular sections and for any existing WI sections.
5. Creating new WI assignments - examples & using templates
6. Student portfolios: objectives, hands-on use of the eFolio product, sample student portfolios, grading strategies
7. Critical thinking assignments – template, rubrics
8. Information literacy assignments – template, rubrics
9. Responding to and grading student writing - for content and for writing
10. Using the Writing Center
11. Using eTutoring
12. Online resources for online & face-to-face course sections
13. Initiative assessment of WI Courses
14. Hands-on session using LibGuides as an editor and adding links, resources, media objects etc.