January 2009 Seminars
For 2009, our Writing Initiative Faculty Institute will be held in two parts. The first two days will be in January and the second two-day institute will be in June. Both sessions will focus on the goals and methodologies of the Initiative, and hands-on creation sessions for faculty developing a writing-intensive course.
The January sessions center around the creation of a writing-intensive assignment.
WEDNESDAY January 14 8:30 - 3:30
- An Introduction to the Writing Initiative Goals
- The role of the PCCC Writing Center
- What is a writing-intensive course?
- Best Practices from Fall 2008 with faculty fellows Randy Jenkins, Alan Mitnick, Petar Drakulich and Anita Kumar.
- Creating WI assignments
- Incorporating critical thinking in writing
THURSDAY 15th 8:30 - 3:30
- The requirements for teaching a writing-intensive course as part of the Writing Initiative grant.
- An overview of the technologies & tools being used in WI courses to help generate writing and support students: WCOnline, LibGuides, Blackboard and the PCCC portal, ePortfolios, streaming media and eTutoring.
- Working with the design template to create a WI assignment.
- An introduction to the standard writing rubric and using it for assignments and assessment.