August 24-25 2011
Writing Initiative Faculty Institute
August 24 & 25, 2011 9am – 3 pm
For faculty taking on sections of WI courses for the first time.
Please bring the textbook and any syllabus and writing assignments for the course that you already have.
This Writing Initiative Faculty Institute is for faculty taking on established WI course sections. We will be discussing overall WI goals, using existing course materials, creating new materials and looking at the tools and resources available in writing intensive courses.
1. The Writing Initiative Teacher's Handbook
2. Writing Initiative goals and requirements
3. Formal and informal writing
4. A review of the existing course materials: syllabus and assignment samples
5. Creating new WI assignments - examples & using templates
6. Student portfolios: objectives, hands-on use of the eFolio product, sample student portfolios, grading strategies
7. Critical thinking assignments – template, rubrics
8. Information literacy assignments – template, rubrics
9. Responding to and grading student writing - for content vs. for writing
10. Using the Writing Center and online resources for online & face-to-face course sections
11. Using eTutoring
12. Initiative assessment of WI Courses
13. Hands-on session using LibGuides as an editor and adding links, resources, media objects etc.