January 11 & 12, 2011 Faculty Institute part 2 Math and Science
This JANUARY 2011 Writing Initiative Faculty Institute is the second part of the development process for faculty developing math and science WI courses that will be piloted in the Spring or Fall 2011 semesters.
While part 1 focused on developing materials, this institute will focus on reviewing those materials (syllabi, assignments etc.) that have been developed by participants since last summer. In a seminar setting, we will discuss both your plans and methods for implementing them in the classroom during your pilot semester.
January 11 & 12 (Tues/Wed) 9 - 3 pm in the Writing Center
We will break at noon for a 30 minute lunch "on your own" - feel free to bring lunch and use the Writing Center, or go to the cafeteria or out locally.
- Institute Part One Recap
- Review of your WI syllabiIncorporating critical thinking into writing assignments and using the CT rubric (Ken Ronkowitz)
- Incorporating information literacy into writing assignments and using the IL rubric (Ken Karol)
- Creating your WI course LibGuide and adding content including media resources (hands-on session)
- Formal and informal writing defined
- Review of your formal writing assignments
- Strategies for grading writing as writing (and for content) and grading policies
- Using the student e-portfolios - technical information, implementation and evaluation (Anita Kumar)
- WI Course evaluation: reviewing progress during the semester with the team, and by the Task Force
Please bring along the materials from the summer sessions (handbook etc.) and all materials for your WI section – especially the revised syllabus, writing assignments, textbook and any media titles being used.