January 2011 New WI Faculty Institute
Wednesday and Thursday, January 4 and 5 - 9am - 3pm in the Paterson Writing Center (A113 within the Library/LRC)
This two-day seminar is for faculty taking on a section of an already developed Writing Intensive course, and teaching WI for the first time.
Topics covered over the course of the 2 days will include:
- Writing Initiative goals and requirements
- The Writing Initiative Teacher's Handbook
- Using the Writing Center
- A review of the existing WI course materials: syllabus, assignments etc. and suggestions for revisions and additions.
- Using the 3 initiative rubrics for assessment
- Components of the formal versus informal writing assignments
- Incorporating critical thinking in writing
- Incorporating information literacy in writing
- Hands-on session using the LibGuide and making additions to it (links, resources, media objects etc.)
- Student portfolios: why we use portfolios, use of the eFolio product, sample student portfolios, grading strategies.
- Online support for online course sections and all students.
- Using eTutoring