Meeting with a Tutor
Students who want help preparing for the College Writing Exam (CWE) can make an appointment by emailing the Writing Center.
Though we recommend making an appointment to make the best use of your time, walk-in sessions are available if a tutor is free. To guarantee that a tutor is available and avoid waiting, you should make an appointment at least one day in advance.
Any student who wants to review their failed exam with a tutor must make an appointment as the Writing Center will need at least 24 hours to obtain a copy of your exam.
How Can I Prepare for the CWE?
There are a number of things you can do to prepare for this exam. Perhaps the most important thing is to prepare early. Doing one of these suggested preparation strategies will make a differenec - doing more than one is far more effective.
- Attend some CWE workshops in the Writing Center. We will review what the test asks, how to prepare your essay and explain how the test is evaluated.
- PRACTICE! Practice is especially important if more than one semester has passed since the completion of Composition II. There are sample topics and essays available here online.
- Have someone review your practice essays - make an appointment with a tutor from the Writing Center. They can review your essay if you have taken the exam and failed. They can also work with you to prepare for to take the CWE for the first time. Email email@example.com, call 973-684-5601, or come to the Writing Center. We are located on the Paterson campus in the library area.
- Use PCCC's free eTutoring. You can submit a sample CWE essay to an eTutor and get feedback (up to 3 drafts) on how to improve your writing.
- Visit the Academic Success Center located in Memorial Hall, room 240. Tutoring schedules for the Academic Success Center can be found HERE.